If you've ever been involved in an auto accident, you'll know just how scary and traumatic the situation can be. If you've never been in an auto accident, consider yourself lucky. The following checklist is a great resource to know what to do when an accident happens. It's also a great reminder to those who have been involved in an accident before.
If you're a customer of Alan Galvez Insurance, download our mobile app today and you can report a scene directly from the accident, as well as attach pictures and call a tow truck.
- Record all the necessary information at the accident scene.
- Report the accident to your agent and/or insurance company. (Find out in advance whom you should contact.) Many insurers have 24-hour claim service, so if the accident doesn’t happen during normal working hours, it might be best to call the company’s claims service number.
- If necessary, have your vehicle towed to the auto body shop of your choice. (Remember, it’s best to plan in advance which shop to use.)
- Ask your agent or insurance company representative how to proceed and what forms or documents are needed to support your claim. This could include “proof of loss” forms, as well as medical and auto repair bills.
- Keep records of any expenses you incur, including medical and hospital costs, lost wages and even the costs resulting if you have to hire a temporary housekeeper. Some of
these expenses may be covered under your policy.
- Keep copies of any paper work that results from the accident.
- As the claim develops, keep in touch with either your agent or, more likely, the claims adjuster assigned by the insurance company to your case. If you have any problems with the handling of your claim, let your agent know. He or she can be an advocate for you.
- Be cautious about “pulling the lawyer card.” Don’t threaten to call an attorney until you’re absolutely convinced your claim is not being handled properly and won’t be, no
matter what you do. Once you hire a lawyer, your insurance company won’t be able to communicate with you directly. Also, hiring a lawyer creates a hostile situation. Use legal
representation as a last resort.
We have helped hundreds of customers work through auto insurance claims and are here to fight for you. Read our claims promise, then give us a call at (937) 592-4871 or contact us.