While we consider having an Ohio personal umbrella policy pretty important, there are certain situations where we consider it absolutely critical to have one. We've listed 5 below- if you have any of these same situations, call your agent (or us!) to discuss getting a personal umbrella policy to protect what you've worked so hard for.
You Have a Swimming Pool
Swimming pools are fun, but like many things that are fun, carry a certain amount of risk. These recent statistics from the CDC are eye-opening to say the least:
- From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day.
- About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger. For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.
- More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments (EDs) require hospitalization or transfer for further care (compared with a hospitalization rate of about 6% for all unintentional injuries).1,2 These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state). (statistics taken from Unintentional Drowning: Get the Facts courtesy of the CDC)
So if your goal is to relax and enjoy your pool (especially with others), then a personal umbrella policy is necessary to give you peace of mind. For less than $1 per day, it's affordable and one of the best things you can do to continue to protect your family's lifestyle. Additional resources about swimming pools and homeowners insurance are available on our website- Can I Get Homeowners Insurance with a Swimming Pool? and Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Swimming Pool Injuries?
You Have a Dog
We all know Fido is the nicest dog on the planet. However, what if Fido suddenly has a bad day and decides to bite a visitor? And what if that bite causes permanent disfigurement? Yes, it can happen. And it doesn't have to be caused by an aggressive breed of dog.
When I was 12, I was mauled by my own dog, a Lhasa Apso. Not necessarily known as an aggressive breed is it? I required between 30 and 40 stitches near my mouth. The potential for having a large claim is certainly there and even greater if a child is involved. So don't take a chance that Fido has a "moment"- add the personal umbrella policy to your current coverage so you can enjoy a good game of fetch instead.
You Have a Teenage Driver
Let's face it, when your teenager gets his or her license, it's a GREAT day for them. For you, not so much. In fact, the word terrifying immediately comes to mind. It's a fact that teenage drivers have the most frequent accidents and the most severe. These statistics from NHTSA and the Insurance Information Institute lay it out nicely.
Here's some sobering data:
- Crash Facts: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that 1,886 drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 died in motor vehicle crashes in 2015 (latest data available), up 9 percent from 1,723 in 2014. An additional 195,000 young drivers were injured in 2015.
- Drivers age 15 to 20 accounted for 9 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2015 and 12 percent of all drivers involved in police-reported crashes. In contrast, young drivers accounted for 5.4 percent of total drivers in the United States. The number of drivers age 15 to 20 involved in fatal crashes totaled 4,308 in 2015, down 43 percent from the 7,493 involved in 2006. (information taken from Teen Drivers Issue Update courtesy Insurance Information Institute)
And if a bunch of facts and figures don't necessarily impress you, then you need to read our blog post Why You Need Personal Umbrella Insurance If You Have a Teenage Driver: A True Story. It doesn't get any more real than this.
You Own "Toys"
Let's face it, having fun comes at a cost. Motorcycles are fun to ride but accidents on a motorcycle are usually serious in nature. Some other fun “toys” are boats & jet-ski's, snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. If you own any of these, an umbrella policy is highly recommended.
You Like to Entertain at Your House
If you enjoy hosting parties at your house, then you need an umbrella policy, period. It's a safe bet that most parties include alcohol and if someone has too much to drink and then gets into an accident on the way, chances are good you'll be brought into the claim. Besides the alcohol factor, a guest could easily have an accident at your house. Wherever there's a group of people there's opportunity....... So don't take the chance. Get the policy and enjoy your parties.
These are some of the most common situations where an Ohio personal umbrella is necessary. Are there potentially more? Of course! Give us a call at (937) 592-4871 with your questions or contact us via our website. You can also request an Ohio umbrella quote via our website.