2018 was the 3rd year for our Flag Exchange event and our community supported it beyond our wild expectations. YAY!!!!!!!
Over the course of Flag Week- June 11- June 15- we welcomed the community to drop off their unserviceable American flags. We collected an AMAZING amount of unserviceable flags-150 total. These flags will be given to the American Legion Post 173 for proper disposal.
We also gave away our entire inventory of 100 American flags. Our office was non-stop activity every day- lots of people dropped by with their flags and were delighted to receive a beautiful new flag in return. All flags were purchased from American Legion Flag & Emblem Company, which directly supports American Legion programs. These programs include:
- The American Legacy Scholarship program for the surviving children of military personnel who have died in the war against terror
- The Family Support Network to assist the families of deployed military personnel
- The American Legion Child Welfare Foundation
- Temporary financial assistance to veterans in need
- Helping veterans file service-related benefit claims
- Children and youth education and athletic programs
- Legislative support for veterans issues
For the first time, we gave away TWO 4th of July themed baskets filled with patriotic items, fireworks, and all the makings for S'Mores! A picture of one of the baskets is shown below, along with the flags we collected and the flags we gave away.
We'd like to thank everyone who took advantage of our flag exchange event, our community for its support and local news outlets for its media coverage of the event. This event is designed to honor our flag, Flag Day and the many men and women who have served our flag, both present and past. We believe strongly in supporting our country and the veterans who have served and continue to serve. Without their sacrifices, we wouldn't enjoy the freedoms we do today.
We'll catch you next year!